Thursday, January 27, 2011

An Update and Things to Come

It's been sometime since my latest entry. I apologize; turns out, Christmas break did not grant me many extra hours for work on the library. 


This semester is technically the beginning of my independent study, "Establishing a Theological Library for a Local Seminary." I will now have the next 17 weeks to catalog, classify, and label all of the books, write policies, and do a couple of instruction sessions with you guys. 


Also, I'll likely be asking for your input (via an online survey) sometime in the near future, so holster your ideas and suggestions. 


In other news, I did a week long practicum at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary Library. It was a great opportunity for me to be immersed in a specialized library with supportive professionals to encourage me. I have lots of new ideas for integrating online resources as well as a few periodicals. I also learned quite a bit about the interlibrary loan process and resource sharing; so if you're in need of a specific book, journal, or database, let me know....chances are that we can get our hands on it. 


While at MBTS I also got to spend time doing some original cataloging on their newly acquired Charles Spurgeon collection. This means that I spent hours trying to decipher and describe books from the 16oo's written in Middle English, as well as document the notes and autographs in the books from Spurgeon himself. It's quite a collection and will be a great resource for a research project and our cultural heritage in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment